Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Six inches deep..."

"To walk three miles, or four miles, or five miles, or whatever it is, above her ancles in dirt, and alone, quite alone! what could she mean by it? It seems to me to shew an abominable sort of conceited independence, a most country town indifference to decorum."
                                                                                                     

                                                                                                        Pride and Prejudice

A blanket of snow fell over my small town this morning and continued to fall through-out the day. This resulted in my taking a half day at work :) YAY!
My only goal of the afternoon was to send a few packages out for Christmas, and I was quite content to walk to the Post.
My walk was quite enchanting....
Snow was falling quickly, yet softly......laughter rang out from children sledding down the hills.....the festive wreaths that adorned the lamp posts had their proper dusting of white...ah..so wonderful!
I felt transported to another time.......
I love this quote from Pride and Prejudice. Caroline Bingley cannot help but comment on the fact that Lizzy has walked quite a distance (alone) to see her sick sister, and that her hem is covered in dirt.
Lizzy has always been my favorite....sometimes I wish I could be more like her (I am decidedly more like Jane). Lizzy is not content to let life go by but she seems to really live.
It sounds silly and maybe too simple...but I think I experienced some of that life today. I could have sat at home because I couldn't drive in the snow. But, I walked instead. Not really that shocking....just a different way to live through a snowstorm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment